Just across the street from the Felix Valle House is the Dr. Shaw House. Today it houses a gift shop featuring books concerning French Colonial history and some children’s books in French, colonial period items and soaps. Behind the Shaw House is a stone building
which houses works from the Ste. Genevieve Art Colony. For several summers in the 1930’s, an Art Colony located in Ste. Genevieve conducted a Summer School of Art. Instead of painting rolling hills or flowers, the artists portrayed the human condition and Depression era events. Information about the school and some of its creations are on display at the Ste. Genevieve Welcome Center. The Summer School instructors included: Thomas Hart Benton, Fred E. Conway, Joseph James Jones, Miriam McKinnie, Joseph John Paul Meert, Jesse Beard Rickly, Aimee Goldstone Schweig, Martyl Schweig, E. Oscar Thalinger, Joseph Paul Vorst, and Matthew E. Ziegler.